Our Health Law attorneys have wide-ranging experience representing a variety of healthcare providers, including hospitals, nursing homes, mental health and substance abuse facilities, hospices, home health agencies, durable medical equipment companies, ambulatory surgery centers, cancer treatment centers, rural health clinics, and physician practices. The activities of the firm’s Corporate/Health Law group reflect the most current developments and trends in the healthcare industry. Attorneys practicing in this area provide day-to-day advice on numerous transactional and regulatory issues required for the smooth operation of healthcare business and also offer counsel regarding larger, more complex projects.
Representative practice areas include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Healthcare Compliance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Health System-Based Physician Practices
- Healthcare Finance
- Integrated Delivery Systems
- Joint Ventures
- Tax-exempt Status Issues
- Medical Staff Issues
- Risk Management Issues
- EMTALA Compliance
- Fraud and Abuse
- Medicare and Medicaid Reimbursement
- HIPAA Compliance
- Physician Contracting
- Managed Care Issues
Examples of some of these projects include:
- Assistance with the development of a joint venture ambulatory surgery center for a hospital system, including corporate organization, licensing, certification, and development of management agreements and structure.
- Assistance with the development and implementation of a comprehensive corporate compliance program for a nursing home company owning three Virginia facilities.
- Assistance with the development of a physician recruitment policy for a rural hospital, as well as drafting and negotiation of recruitment agreements.
- Assistance in responding to a Department of Health investigation of a hospital, including the development and implementation of appropriate plans of correction.
- Assistance with a hospital’s internal compliance investigation regarding billing matters and preparation of an appropriate response to a government contractor for a Medicare program regarding the outcome.
- Assessment of a hospital system’s compliance program, including recommendations and support.
- Provision of training and education to a hospital’s governing board regarding governance issues and the sufficiency of its present governance structure.
- HIPAA compliance preparedness and ongoing advice and support regarding medical records confidentiality issues for a hospital system.
- Assistance in preparing a hospital’s response and plan of correction for JCAHO-identified deficiencies.