HDJN’s Insurance Practice Group assists clients in establishing effective liability insurance programs tailored to meet their needs. We organize and provide ongoing representation to captive insurance companies and risk purchasing groups sponsored by insurance companies and healthcare organizations. We also help clients establish self-insurance trusts and large deductible programs with commercial insurers.
- Organized and continue to serve as counsel to a Vermont domiciled reciprocal risk retention group for a Virginia health system. We also represent healthcare captives domiciled in Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.
- Analyzed a hospital’s liability insurance program and made recommendations as to appropriate policy limits (per claim and aggregate) for the hospital and employed physicians, the per claim and aggregate self-insured retention, and the best use of primary and excess insurance policies to implement the desired program.
- Reviewed a health system’s professional liability, general liability, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, and employee benefits liability insurance coverages, and gave a presentation to the board of directors as to current coverages and areas of potential uncovered exposure.
- Worked with several health system captives to develop claims plans of operation, risk management plans, and underwriting guidelines.
- Our attorneys regularly attend the claims committee meetings of several health system captives as consultants on strategy and reserves with respect to specific claims.